The safety of young children is of paramount importance. In order to ensure the safety of both children and adults, the playgroup will ensure safety in the following areas:
· Safety checks on premises, both indoors and outdoors, will be made before every session.
- Outdoor space will be secured.
- Public space used for outdoor play will be checked for litter and other dangers.
- The layout and space ratios will allow children and adults to move safely and freely between activities.
- There will be adequate systems and equipment for the detection and control of fire.
- Fire doors will never be obstructed and fire exits will be easily identifiable.
- A record will be kept of all fire drills.
- Electric points/wires and leads will be adequately guarded.
- All dangerous materials, including medicines and cleaning materials, will be stored out of reach of children.
- Equipment will be checked regularly and any dangerous items repaired/discarded.
- Any faulty equipment will be removed and reported to the committee
- Large equipment will be erected with care and checked regularly.
- Equipment offered to children will be developmentally appropriate, recognising that materials suitable for an older child may pose a risk to younger, less mature children.
- Internal safety gates/barriers will be used as necessary.
- Children will leave the group only with authorised adults.
- Children will not have unsupervised access to kitchens, cookers or any cupboards storing hazardous materials.
- During an outing, staffing levels will be maintained, but under certain circumstances and subject to an appropriate risk assessment it may be necessary to exceed them.
- If a small group goes out, there will be sufficient adults to maintain appropriate ratios for staff and children remaining on the premises.
- Whenever children are on the premises at least two adults will be present.
- Children who are sleeping will be checked regularly.
- All adults in the group, staff, students and visitors, will be made aware of and asked to respect the group’s safety policies.
- Staff in the group will have access to advice on safe lifting.
- If adults need to reach up for stored equipment, they will be provided with something safe to stand on.
- When relevant please fill in ‘Accident/injury that occurred out of playgroup’ forms at the beginning of sessions for our information – unreported marks/bruising may be recorded as concerns.
- A book will be available at each session for the reporting of any accident/incidents which happen at playgroup.
- Regular safety monitoring will include checking of the accident record as a basis for risk assessment.
- All adults, including parents and other carers, will be aware of the system(s) in operation for children’s arrivals and departures and a member of staff will be at the door during these periods.
- At the beginning of the session playgroup staff will take sole responsibility for each child once their parent/carer has left the building.
- At the end of the session responsibility of each child is passed to the parent/carer as soon as the parent/carer has entered the main hall.
- Adults will not walk about with hot drinks or place hot drinks within reach of children. Hot drinks will be consumed in the kitchen where children have no access.
- A register of both adults and children will be completed as people arrive and leave so that a complete record of all those present is available in any emergency.
- The Village Hall is a no smoking venue.
- A correctly stocked first aid box will be available at all times.
- Fire extinguishers will be checked annually by the Bury Residents Committee.Special considerationsSome areas and activities pose particular hazards. All staff will be aware of these:
- Children playing with or near water will be continuously supervised.
- There will be safe surfaces beneath and around all climbing equipment and such activities will be appropriately supervised.
- All cooking activities involving the use of heat will be continuously supervised.
- In shared premises, stored equipment belonging to other organisations will be checked for potential hazards or stored in locked cupboards.
- Systems will be in place to ensure that children are not at risk from swinging doors.
- Systems will be in place to ensure that no child can leave the premises unattended.
- Cars are left in the car park at the owners own risk. Playgroup cannot take responsibility for loss or damage to cars or belongings left in the car park.
- We ask all parents/carers driving to playgroup to be vigilant and careful with their speed on the road leading to, and the car park at the village hall.