- What is intimate care?
Intimate care encompasses areas of personal care, such as nappy/pads changing, washing and dressing.
- Our approach to best practice
Support for children/young people with intimate care needs will be carefully planned and the setting will ensure that:
- Staff who provide intimate care are trained to meet the needs of individual children.
- All staff adhere to the setting’s safeguarding and child protection policy.
- Suitable equipment and facilities are made available.
- Staff carrying out intimate care are appropriately supported.
- Where possible one-to-one care will be provided unless there is an identified need for having more adults.
- Intimate care is discussed and agreed with parents and carers.
- The needs and wishes of the child/young person are taken into consideration.
- An appropriate written plan for intimate personal care is discussed, agreed and shared with the child or young person and their family, signed by all involved and reviewed on a regular basis.
- Intimate care is logged and recorded and records retained. The record will include the date and time the intimate care was carried out and by whom.
- Equal opportunities legislation is taken into account.
- Mobile phones, cameras and technological devices are not used by children or staff in areas where intimate care is carried out.
Intimate care – safeguarding children
If a member of staff has any concerns about physical or behavioural changes in a child/young person’s presentation, e.g. marks, bruises, soreness, they will immediately pass their concerns to the Designated Person for child protection in their setting.
In the event of an allegation being made against a member of staff, volunteer or student, the procedures for Allegations of Abuse (as per the guidance and flow chart) will be followed.
Visits and outings
The setting has procedures and plans in place for the day-to-day intimate care needs of a child or young person, but further consideration and risk assessment will need to be taken in good time before a trip or for an activity.
|Education Safeguarding Teamfirstname.lastname@example.org|